Department of Electronics & Communication Engineering and Computer Science & Engineering, SISTec-R Campus organised an Industrial visit to Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) on 31st January 2019 and 01st February 2019, for the students of first year to final year of both the department.
The first session was an introductory session on weather forecasting by Dr. G.D Mishra. Second session, was conducted by Mr. Vivek Chalhotre. He demonstrated various kinds of equipments and devices which are used in weather forecasting like sunshine recorder, rain gauge, doppler radar.
About India Meteorological Department (IMD) - India meteorological Department was established in 1875. It is the National Meteorological Service of the country and the principal government agency in all matters relating to meteorology, seismology & allied subjects.
- To take meteorological observations and to provide current and forecast meteorological information for optimum operation of weather-sensitive activities like agriculture, irrigation, shipping, aviation, offshore oil explorations etc.
- To warm against severe weather phenomena like tropical cyclones, dust storms, heavy rains & snow, cold & heat waves etc., which cause destruction of life and property.
- To provide meteorological statistics required for agriculture, water resource management, industries and other nation-building activities.
- To conduct & promote research in meteorology & allied disciplines.
- To detect & locate earthquakes and to evaluate seismicity in different parts of the country for development projects.
The visit was very informative and interactive. It was a great experience for all the students.